Thursday, February 25, 2010

Thoughts

I am going to do something that I have never done before. I am going to refer to myself as a writer, a term that I have always shied away from and kept in reserve for those with superior talent such as Steinbeck, Dickens, DuBois, Hardy, Corimer, Bronte, Austen, and Fitzgerald. Recently I made an explanatory discovery in the dictionary, “writer- one who commits his or her thoughts to writing.” That is what I do, I may not do it as effectively as some, but I do it nonetheless. As a recently self-discovered author, I would like to “commit my thoughts to writing.”
I am not an old man. I am not of the depression era, or can I take claim to the title of “Baby-Boomer.” I do however have the same outlook on life that someone from a prior age would have. I love to work, and in my mind work is equivalent to manual labor. I find joy in my hands, in the ability to change my situation by hard work. As I type these phonemic symbols, and my fingers uncontrollably “twitch” to the wrong letters, I feel anger for those people who have in their wallet a monthly pass to an air-conditioned building full of exercise equipment, an d who find the need to hire a plumber, landscaper, gardener, trench digger, tree trimmer, house cleaner, dog walker, babysitter, or whatever else they need to eliminate from their busy, 21st century, self-serving schedules. I have the desire to work, help and serve, and the ability and talent of physical labor, so why in God’s infinite wisdom does my body not work the way that a 32 year old man’s body should work?


4 comments:

Aislinn said...

Bryan, I like your thoughts and a writer - you are. I know that we don't know each other well - but please know that you are always in our prayers.

Mrs. B. Roth said...

I wanted to say something consoling, but there's nothing really I can say that won't sound trite to me. I do enjoy your thoughts ... I always do. I hope you continue as a writer, I think you have a natural gift for it.

Anonymous said...

It is quite unfortunate your situation. You are very inspiring to me, as I never hear you complain. Granted, I live a state away, but your outlook far exceeds any expectations I have. It also makes me feel guilty for my situation. I could be appreciating my lack of pain and be doing much more manual labor and hard work! Thanks a lot! Seriously though...

cskelton said...

A writer you are, such a gift.

It might help to blame me for whatever I did or didn't do during pregnancy. I know I've told you this before, but I agree with Dallin, you NEVER complain. I'm reminded so much of your Dad when I think of you and your depth of character, and depth of knowledge and understanding. I have come to love the scripture in the NT that talks about Mary, the mother of Christ, .....and she pondered all these things in her heart, (and I never can give references, another trait of my children which came from Dad). Dad taught me the meaning of the word love, and the words 'Silence is golden'. There are few that have the privilege you do, to ponder these things, and through silence not become validated by mortal 'noise'.

My heart has been given, I do not possess it, bu my soul has been filled with compassion and love and the urging of a mother's desire for her children's Spiritual well-being.